Róisín Gadelrab’s music news: Abbey Road anniversary; Ned Doheny; Kin Sound System
01 August, 2019 — By Róisín Gadelrab
THROW off your shoes (or be one of the other three) and join the many Beatles fans who will be re-enacting the Fab Four’s walk across the Abbey Road zebra crossing on August 8. Exactly 50 years to the minute from when John, Paul, Ringo and George took those iconic steps – at 11.35am on August 8, 1969 – the road will be filled with fans hoping to immerse themselves in the image that marked one of the band’s most memorable albums. No doubt, the magic of the original will be lost in the melée, but still, it should be a spectacle. Then head over to the Dublin Castle, which is hosting a special celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Beatles crossing Abbey Road with matinee event Come Together, starring Beatles tribute “supergroup” Fab Gear, duo The Fab Twins, special guests and DJs. Starting from 2pm.
• Californian pop-rock royalty Ned Doheny returns to Spiritland on August 6 where he will be in conversation with music journalist Jim Butler. Expect tales of his remarkable musical journey, hanging out in hot tubs with the Eagles, impressing Joni and defining yacht rock, followed by a DJ set of suitably smooth AOR, blue-eyed soul and funk from Be With Records.
• Trinidad-based Kin Sound System play The Dublin Castle tomorrow (Friday) following a hiatus due to guitarist Kiwan Landreth-Smith’s successful battle against cancer. Their most recent album, Live Again, is an optimistic look at the new lease on life the band are now enjoying.
• Energetic Celtic punk-rockers Sir Reg headline the Dublin Castle for the first time on August 3. The seven-piece band from Sweden are fronted by Irish singer Brendan Sheehy, who left his hometown of Dublin to go to Sweden to fulfil his dream of putting together an most amazing band.
• Critically acclaimed singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Rosalie Cunningham (formerly of Purson) brings her eponymous debut solo album – using mostly analogue equipment – to The Lexington on August 3. Support from Gu-Ru
• Award-winning Scots folk singer Iona Fyfe plays Aces and Eights on August 6. Tickets and info from folkonmonday.co.uk
• Let’s hope the sunshine returns on Saturday (Aug 3) as La Clave Fest Latin Festival takes over Finsbury Park for a celebration of Latin music, dance, food and culture.